The latest issue of the ChinaSource Quarterly looks at stewardship in the lives of Christians in China. Compiled as part of ChinaSource’s Faith and Generosity in China Initiative, this issue explores the biblical basis for what it means to be a steward in God’s kingdom, as well as the practical outworking of this steward lifestyle in the particular cultural context of China.
Another facet of the Faith and Generosity in China Initiative involves making available stewardship resources to Chinese believers.
The Good and Faithful Steward blog and social media platform, designed and maintained by a team of Christians in China, has built a growing community of followers since it went online last May.
A recent survey asked a sampling of these followers, most of whom were lay believers who are active in their churches, about their own views of what it means to be a faithful steward. Here are some of the key findings:
- Half of respondents indicated an understanding of what it means to be God’s steward, but said they don’t know how to get there.
- The most difficult area in which to be a steward is time management (followed by management of money and of family).
- Asked how often they hear generosity or stewardship messages in their churches, the most common response was less than five percent of the time.
- More than 85 percent have experience giving to the poor.
- Most insist on tithing monthly.
- Two-thirds indicated they are “fans” of Good and Faithful Steward, and most of these access the material at least weekly.
The Good and Faithful Steward blog is available (in Chinese) at http://blog.sina.com.cn/zxhaoguanjia.
WeChat ID: 忠心好管家
For more on generosity and stewardship among Christians in China, see the winter issue of ChinaSource Quarterly.
Brent Fulton is the president of ChinaSource and the editor of the ChinaSource Quarterly. Prior to assuming his current position, he served from 1995 to 2000 as the managing director of the Institute for Chinese Studies at Wheaton College. From 1987 to 1995 he served as founding US director of... View Full Bio