Ministry of Education Goals for 2001
- Universalize nine-year compulsory education, accelerate the development of secondary education and continue to expand higher education.
- Adjust the educational structure to meet the demand of national development and the development of the west.
- Develop quality education and quality teacher education.
- Emphasize innovation in educational management, deepen the reform of educational administration and employ laws and regulations for school management.
- Speed up the construction of information technology education and build up the system of life-long education.
- Ensure the development of world-class, high-level universities, encourage university participation in the “Tenth Five-year Plan,” and establish 15 National University High-tech Parks.
- Strive to increase the government’s educational investment and improve working and living conditions for schoolteachers.
- Implement the National Language Law and reinforce information management of oral and written languages.
- Reinforce the Party’s construction for “thought and political work” in higher education institutions and correct unhealthy tendencies.
Source: China Education Daily, January 15, 2001