What a joy to meet with friends of ChinaSource both old and new as we have celebrated our 20th anniversary over the past couple of months! From Mississippi to Malaysia, and from Dallas to Dongguan, ChinaSource has the privilege of serving a broad spectrum of those serving the Chinese church and society. Being able to connect personally with many of these has been a great encouragement to our team.
In the spirit of celebrating our 20th anniversary, we recently held a series of ChinaSource Connect events in the US and in Hong Kong. It was a wonderful blessing to walk down memory lane as well as take an exciting look ahead with both old friends and new faces. For those who couldn't join us— you were dearly missed—we thought we’d recap the events for you in this month’s Lantern.
Dallas, Texas—September 23, 2017
Our first ChinaSource Connect event in Dallas! Thank you to friends at Highland Park Presbyterian Church who hosted us in their beautiful facility.
During the week leading up to this event, members of the ChinaSource team were in Dallas attending the Missio Nexus Mission Leaders Conference. It was a great opportunity both at the conference and at our event to introduce people to our ministry and to meet people who have been blessed for many years by what we do. Some flew in just for the event!
It’s always encouraging to hear that what we work hard to produce is effectively helping other ministries serve China better.
We hope it won’t be our last time in Dallas.
Los Angeles, California—September 26, 2017
Next we moved on to Los Angeles where we were hosted by Brent Fulton’s church family at First Chinese Baptist Church Walnut.
Many friends of the ministry are located in the LA area so we were delighted to see all the familiar faces as well as all the new friends they brought along with them. We were honoured to have Dwight Nordstrom (it was his birthday too!) and Kerry Shuttlekorb share about the impact ChinaSource’s ministry has had on their own ministries over the years.
We are overwhelmed with gratitude by the support for ChinaSource that comes from this city.
Hong Kong—October 14, 2017
Last but not least was our Connect event in Hong Kong, held at the ECC Ministry Center.
In the week leading up to the event, the ChinaSource board was in Hong Kong for a series of meetings. This provided a great opportunity to have the members of the board attend the event and meet the 50+ attendees that joined us. We were honoured to have Scott Rodin share his journey with ChinaSource over the years as a donor, board chair, and now as a partner.
Connect events in Hong Kong always have a different flavour. Many of those who come are active in frontline ministries in China. They are the ones on the ground, day in day out, living and breathing the reality that we aim to reflect in our content and resources. Spending time with these brothers and sisters is always refreshing and encouraging as we learn more about what’s going on inland and they update us on the state and needs of the church in China.
A big thank to all the individuals and ministries represented that have supported us in Hong Kong over the years.
Whether you were at these events or not, we want to say a big thank you to you, our readership. Our journey of 20 years simply would not be possible without your support. We hope to continue to serve you so that God’s Kingdom can be built in China.
Would you like to host a ChinaSource Connect event in your city? Let us know by emailing us at email@example.com.
News and Notes
- Brent Fulton participated in a research roundtable hosted by Hong Kong Church Renewal Movement on October 27.
- On October 29 Glenn and Narci Herr spoke at Westchester Bible Church.
- Last month’s Board retreat in Hong Kong was a significant time of contemplating the future and sharpening the vision of ChinaSource. Give thanks for unity and a clear sense of the Lord’s direction.
- Pray for the ChinaSource board members as they put in place what is needed to take ChinaSource into the years ahead.
- Thank God for the wonderful opportunities to meet up with old and new friends at the ChinaSource Connect events.
- As 2017 comes to a close, lift up the year-end financial needs of ChinaSource.
- China’s President Xi Jinping further consolidated his power at last month’s Party Congress. His lengthy speech indicated Party control will continue to tighten across society, including in the area of religion Pray for wisdom for Chinese believers as they respond.
In Case You Missed It
A selection of recently published items:
- 3 Questions: A Look in the Mirror for Leaders, ChinaSource Blog, October 18.
- Toward the Development of Mission-Sending Organization in China: Building the Chinese Missionary Sending Infrastructure, article, October 19.
- See One, Do One, Teach One, ChinaSource Blog, October 20.
- Snapshots from Another World, ChinaSource Blog, October 23.
- Chinese Christians Look Back, Part 2, Chinese Church Voices, October 24.
- In an Ever-Changing China, Some Things Haven’t Changed, ChinaSource Blog, October 25.
- My ChinaSource Story, ChinaSource Blog, October 27.
- 5 Random Observations on the 19th Party Congress, ChinaSource Blog, October 30.
- How Can Chinese Christians Foster a Reformation Spirit? ChinaSource Blog, October 31.
- Thoughts and Tips on Learning Chinese, ChinaSource Blog, November 1.
- Ocean Heaven: A Film Review, ChinaSource Blog, November 3.
- We Don’t Know “Nuthin,’” ChinaSource Blog, November 6.
- Lahu Christians Celebrate Thanksgiving: In Pictures, Chinese Church Voices, November 7.
- International Students in China—an Opportunity? ChinaSource Blog, November 8.
- Two Reformation Videos, ChinaSource Blog, November 10.
- Returnees and the Church in China, ChinaSource Blog, November 13.
- 30 and Independent:Young Chinese Christians Dealing with Age-Related Expectations, Chinese Church Voices, November 14.
Are you enjoying a cup of good coffee or fragrant tea while reading the latest ChinaSource post? Consider donating the cost of that “cuppa” to support our content so we can continue to serve you with the latest on Christianity in China.