Over the past few months there have been numerous articles and posts written about the new Foreign NGO Law. We have been trying to keep you updated on new developments through this blog and ZGBriefs, but we thought it would be helpful to compile the resources (so far) in one place.
Links to official documents (or translations thereof)
- The Law of the People’s Republic of China on Administration of Activities of Overseas Nongovernmental Organizations in the Mainland of China (Ministry of Public Security)
- Catalog of Fields and Projects for Foreign NGOs with Activities in China, and a Directory of Professional Supervisory Units (Chinese)
- English Translation: Catalog of Fields and Projects for Foreign NGOs with Activities in China, and Directory of Professional Supervisory Units (2017) (China Law Translate)
- Online Operations Manual for Registering Foreign NGOs (Chinese)
- English translation: Online Operations Manual for Registering Foreign NGOs (V 1.0) (China Law Translate)
Analysis (newest to oldest)
- China – Provincial Directories Gradually Released For Overseas NGOs: List Of Activity Fields, Project Catalog, And Relevant Regulatory Departments (January 24, 2017, Coventus Law)
- Professional Supervisory Unit or Partner—Which Is Right for You? (January 18, 2017, From the West Courtyard)
- More FAQs on the Overseas NGO Law: Reading the Fine Print (January 8, 2017, NGOs in China)
- Group of Chinese lawyers offer legal help to foreign NGOs as new law kicks in (January 6, 2017, Hong Kong Free Press)
- China’s New Foreign NGO Law: A Conversation with Sophie Richardson(January 3, 2017, China Power Podcast)
- The Evolution and Implication of China's Overseas NGO Law (December 30, 2017, NGOs in China)
- China details operating areas for foreign NGOs under new law (December 21, 2016, Reuters)
- Follow up on the Overseas NGO Law – the list of Professional Supervisory Units has been issued (December 21, 2016, NGOs in China)
- Setting Up a Foreign NGO as an RO in China: Navigating the New Procedures (December 21, 2016, China Briefing)
- Uncertainty Over New Chinese Law Rattles Foreign Nonprofits (December 29, 2016, The New York Times)
- The Overseas NGO Law for Dummies (December 15, 2016, China Development Brief)
- The Foreign NGO Law: More Pieces of the Puzzle (December 5, 2016, From the West Courtyard)
- Rules for overseas NGOs clarified (November 30, 2016, China Daily)
We will continue to monitor the roll-out of this new law and bring you more information and analysis as it becomes available.
Joann Pittman is Vice President of Partnership and China Engagement and editor of ZGBriefs. Prior to joining ChinaSource, Joann spent 28 years working in China, as an English teacher, language student, program director, and cross-cultural trainer for organizations and businesses engaged in China. She has also taught Chinese at the University …View Full Bio
Are you enjoying a cup of good coffee or fragrant tea while reading the latest ChinaSource post? Consider donating the cost of that “cuppa” to support our content so we can continue to serve you with the latest on Christianity in China.