While there are many excellent resources on China and cross-cultural mission, the following list of titles was selected from the recommendations of the contributors to this issue of ChinaSource Quarterly with the expectation that they will be of great benefit to new expatriate Christian workers in China.
- Bays, Daniel H. A New History of Christianity in China. Malden, MA: Wiley-Blackwell, 2012.
- Bosch, David. Transforming Mission. Maryknoll, NY: Orbis Books, 1991.
- Chang, Leslie T. Factory Girls: From Village to City in a Changing China. New York: Spiegel & Grau, 2008.
- Christiansen, Matthew B. English Grammar for Students of Chinese: The Study Guide for those Learning Chinese. Ann Arbor: Olivia and Hill, 2011.
- Covell, Ralph. Confucius, the Buddha, and Christ: A History of the Gospel in Chinese. Maryknoll, NY: Orbis Books, 1986.
- Elmer, Duane. Cross-Cultural Servanthood: Serving the World in Christlike Humility. Downers Grove, IL: IVP Books, 2006.
- Falkenstine, Mike. The Chinese Puzzle. Colorado Springs, CO: China Resource Center Press, 2012.
- Gifford, Rob. China Road: A Journey into the Future of a Rising Power. New York: Random House, 2007.
- Hamrin, Carol Lee, and Stacey Bieler. Salt and Light: Lives of Faith That Shaped Modern China. Eugene, OR: Pickwick Publications, 2009.
- Harding-Esch, Edith and Philip Riley. The Bilingual Family: A Handbook for Parents. 2nd ed. Cambridge: Cambridge University Press, 2003.
- Hessler, Peter. Country Driving: A Journey Through China from Farm to Factory. New York: Harper, 2010.
- Huang, Shu-min. The Spiral Road: Change in a Chinese Village through the Eyes of a Communist Party Leader. Boulder: Westview Press, 1998.
- Lambert, Tony. China's Christian Millions. Oxford: Monarch, 2006.
- Liao, Yiwu. God is Red. NY, Harper: Collins, 2011.
- Pollock, David C., and Ruth E. Van Reken. Third Culture Kids Growing Up Among Worlds. Boston: Nicholas Brealey Pub, 2009.
- Wang, Mary M. Turning Bricks into Jade Critical Incidents for Mutual Understanding Among Chinese and Americans. Yarmouth, ME: Intercultural Press, 2000.
- Wasserstrom, Jeffrey N. China in the 21st Century: What Everyone Needs to Know. New York: Oxford University Press, 2010.
- Huozhe [To Live] directed by Zhang Yimou (1994)
- Qiu Jiu Da Guansi [The Story of Qiu Jiu] directed by Zhang Yimou (1992)
- The Joy Luck Club directed by Wayne Wang (1993)
- The Last Emperor directed by Bernardo Bertolucci (1987)
- Wo de Fuqin Muqin [The Road Home] directed by Zhang Yimou (1999)
* Special thanks to Andrea Klopper for her film recommendations.