September often marks a time of new beginnings within the calendar year. Students are heading back to school, many local churches start up autumn ministries and programs, all among other seasonally scheduled activities. Not necessarily this year; 2020 is very different because of all the unknowns related to COVID-19. Aren’t you grateful we know the one who is the Alpha and Omega and everything in-between? May we abide intimately in him, no matter what the rest of 2020 brings.
An Opportunity to Stand with Us
Regardless of where you are in the world, a quick look around will likely show that unity within the global church is desperately needed. This need is not new, though it is more glaring in times like this. The time is now, more than ever, for the global church to come together with mutual respect, openness, and a willingness to listen. Together, we become a powerful testimony of Christ’s love to a hurting world.
As we see division prevalent around the world and also within the church, the unifying work and ministry of ChinaSource is all the more crucial for such a time as this. For over twenty years, we have sought to be a bridge between Christians in China and the global church, providing vital information and analysis, while helping to facilitate collaboration and ministry partnerships. With God’s help, through credibility, experience, and expertise, we have kept our finger on the pulse of an unpredictable and ever-changing subject—China and its church.
ChinaSource is committed to being a bridge that brings people and ministries together, for the advancement of God’s kingdom.
In this crucial hour, we ask you to stand with us. We need the support of those who are passionate about God’s work in China to join us in this endeavor.
For the remainder of September, every gift donated to the work of ChinaSource will be doubled in impact as your gift will be matched dollar for dollar up to US$30,000.
We are thankful for the generous donor who provided the base for this matching challenge.
To give, visit our donation page.
We pray that you will stand with us in the kingdom calling God has given ChinaSource—for such a time as this.
The ChinaSource Team
Ways to Pray
- Pray with us that the US$30,000 matching challenge for the support of the ChinaSource ministry will be met in September.
- Pray the Lord continues to open doors for ChinaSource to serve the church in China and the global church in fruitful and unifying ways.
- Praise the Lord with us that the ChinaSource board and staff meetings, which took place September 2-4, were encouraging and fruitful. Critical decisions were made around ChinaSource’s mission and vision statements in light of today’s rapidly changing world. We look forward to sharing more details in the future.
- We thank the Lord that well over 500 people registered for the September 10 ChinaSource webinar entitled, “How Relevant Is the Gospel for the Chinese?” presented by I’Ching Thomas.
News and Notes
ChinaSource Quarterly, 2020 Autumn Issue
China’s Registered Church: One Body, One Spirit, One Hope, guest edited by Wayne Ten Harmsel
Wayne Ten Harmsel opens his editorial by saying:
The Three-Self Patriotic Movement (TSPM). This is the name of the Chinese government oversight agency for Protestant churches. It is also the name that refers to those Protestant churches that have registered with and report to the government. Also, as I discovered in many conversations with “Three-Self” pastors, it is a name that causes them difficulties. While outsiders see this name as pointing to government control of the churches, the pastors overwhelmingly view it as a sort of bridge that facilitates communication between the churches and the government, not for the purpose of control but for mutual benefit.
To read this fascinating issue of the ChinaSource Quarterly dealing with this compelling topic, go to “China’s Registered Church: One Body, One Spirit, One Hope.”
ChinaSource Team News
- On August 29, Joann Pittman delivered a virtual presentation, titled “Perspective on Current China Challenges,” for International Students Incorporated (ISI).
- Brent Fulton was quoted in a South China Morning Post article, “China Doubles Down against Foreign Teachers Spreading Christianity” on September 6.
In Case You Missed It
A selection of recently published items:
- The Climbers, ChinaSource Blog, September 16.
- A T-Shirt Witness in China, ChinaSource Blog (CCV), September 15.
- Communism’s Questions, Christianity’s Answers, ChinaSource Blog, September 14.
- In Exile—Still Waiting, ChinaSource Blog, September 11.
- No Language Requirement, ChinaSource Blog, September 09.
- The 996 Work Culture, ChinaSource Blog (CCV), September 08.
- 5 Thoughts on How the Church Grows, ChinaSource Blog, September 07.
- In Exile—Still Learning, ChinaSource Blog, September 04.
- My Husband Gambles—What Should I Do?, ChinaSource Blog (CCV), September 01.
- Why Chinese Become Christians: 3 Additional Factors, ChinaSource Blog, August 31.
- In Exile—Outside the Wall, ChinaSource Blog, August 28.
- Is China Rewriting the Bible?, ChinaSource Blog, August 26.
- Living a “Down to Earth” Faith, ChinaSource Blog (CCV), August 25.
- Demographics Beyond Numbers (2), ChinaSource Blog, August 24.
- 10 Quotes from Jesus, the Path to Human Flourishing by I’Ching Thomas, ChinaSource Blog, August 21.
Are you enjoying a cup of good coffee or fragrant tea while reading the latest ChinaSource post? Consider donating the cost of that “cuppa” to support our content so we can continue to serve you with the latest on Christianity in China.